See the Music Department Web Site for information about audtions, scholarships, performing opportunites, music events, and department open houses.
Requirements for the major in Music Performance (B.M.)
- To be accepted as a candidate for a B.M. in Music in Music Performance, the student must audition successfully no later than the end of the fourth semester.
- All music majors at Methodist University must successfully pass the sophomore gateway review. This normally consists of a face to face meeting with all full time music faculty (and student’s applied music instructor) at the end of the spring semester of the sophomore year. Further detail of the sophomore gateway review is outlined in the Methodist University Music Department Handbook.
- Continuous enrollment in MUS 0710 (with a passing grade). 8 semesters total.
- 32 s.h. of MUS 1070, 1080, 1600 (if necessary), 1610, 1620, 2070, 2080, 2600, 2610, 2620, 3110, 3130, 3610, 4190, plus 2 additional courses in 4640, 4650, or 4660; and foreign language courses in one language through the 1020-level or demonstration of competence; or a total of 6-8 s.h. of foreign language courses in two separate languages (must be French, German, or Italian) or demonstration of competence;
- A minimum of 16 continuous semester hours of applied lessons (C or higher) is required for all students receiving a Bachelor of Music in Performance on one instrument or in voice. Percussionists must complete no fewer than 16 semester hours of applied lessons, with at least 10 semester hours in applied orchestral percussion.
- For students whose major instrument is not piano, satisfactory completion of the Piano Proficiency Exam is required.
- 8 credits of large ensemble (Concert Band, MUS 3480/3490), Noblemen (MUS 3280/3290), or Grace Notes (MUS 3860/3870), approved string or orchestra ensemble, or Guitar Ensemble (MUS 3260 – 3270) is required for graduation.
- For instrumental majors, a minimum of two semesters of voice lessons or participation in Noblemen or Grace Notes (with instructor permission) is required.
- For vocal majors, a minimum of two semesters of instrumental lessons or participation in Marching Band or Concert Band (with instructor permission) is recommended
- A full recital and a half recital in the major instrument are required for graduation.
- Enrollment in upper 3000-4000 level courses is predicated on successful completion of 1000-2000 level classes.
- Instrumental majors (wind, brass, and percussion) are required to participate in Marching Band for no fewer than two years. Qualified piano majors may be asked to accompany one of the choirs to fulfill requirement. Guitar majors, though not required, may participate in either the Marching Band or Concert Band with instructor’s permission.
- Vocal performance majors must take MUS 1650 and 2650 (diction).
Requirements for the Minor in Secondary Instrument/Voice
Applied lessons (8 semester hours – 4 semesters). No senior recital is required, but student must perform on semester student recitals and juries. This minor is only available to music majors.