See the Music Department Web Site for information about audtions, scholarships, performing opportunites, music events, and department open houses.
Requirements for the major in Music (B.A.)
- To be accepted as a candidate for a B.A. in Music, the student must audition successfully no later than the end of the fourth semester.
- All music majors at Methodist University must successfully pass the sophomore gateway review. This normally consists of a face to face meeting with all full time music faculty (and student’s applied music instructor) at the end of the spring semester of the sophomore year. Further detail of the sophomore gateway review is outlined in the Methodist University Music Department Handbook.
- Continuous enrollment in MUS 0710 (with a passing grade). 8 semesters total.
- 32 s.h. of MUS 1070, 1080, 1600 (if necessary), 1610, 1620, 2070, 2080, 2600, 2610, 2620, 3110, 3130, 3610, 4190, plus 2 additional courses in 4640, 4650, or 4660, and foreign language courses in one language through the 1020-level or demonstration of competence (German, French, or Italian recommended).
- A minimum of 16 continuous semester hours of applied lessons (C or higher) is required for all students receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Music on one instrument or in voice. Percussionists must complete no fewer than 16 semester hours of applied lessons, with at least 10 semester hours in applied orchestral percussion.
- For students whose major instrument is not piano, satisfactory completion of the Piano Proficiency Exam is required.
- Continuous enrollment in an ensemble in your major instrument or voice is required. A minimum of 8 credits of large ensemble (Concert Band, MUS 3480/3490), Noblemen (MUS 3280/3290), or Grace Notes (MUS 3860/3870), approved string or orchestra ensemble, or Guitar Ensemble (MUS 3260 -3270) is required for graduation. Guitar majors must enroll in one of these ensembles whether guitar ensemble is scheduled or not in any given semester.
- A half recital in the major instrument is required for graduation.
- Enrollment in upper 3000-4000 level courses is predicated on successful completion of 1000-2000 level classes.
- Instrumental majors (wind, brass, and percussion) are required to participate in Marching Band for no fewer than two years. Qualified piano majors may be asked to accompany one of the choirs to fulfill requirement.
- Music majors must earn a GPA of 2.0 or higher in all music courses required for their degree.
- All music majors are required to be enrolled in applied music lessons the semester their senior recital is performed.
Requirements for the Minor in Secondary Instrument/Voice
Applied lessons (8 semester hours – 4 semesters). No senior recital is required, but student must perform on semester student recitals and juries. This minor is only available to music majors.
Requirements for the A.A. Concentration in Music
29-32 s.h.—17-20 s.h. in music courses, including MUS 1070, 1080, 1600 (if necessary), 1610, 1620, 2610, 2620, 2070, 2080, and 2600 plus 8 s.h. in applied music and 4 s.h. in major ensembles (Marching Band, Noblemen, or Grace Notes), four semesters of MUS 0710 (with a passing grade). No senior recital is required for the A.A.