Accepted International Students
You are accepted. What is next?
After your admission has been approved, you will be asked to submit a housing deposit. The deposit must be received prior to the issuance of your I-20.
Applying for the F-1 Visa
It is imperative that you present a valid SEVIS I-20 to the nearest U.S. consulate in order to apply for an F-1 visa. Students may be required to present the following documents:
- Current, valid passport
- Form DS-160, non-immigrant application
- Acceptance letter from MU
- Proof of SEVIS fee payment. For more information, go to www.fmjfee.com.
- Passport photograph
- Current, dated financial statements
- Proof of permanent address in home country and plans to return to home country
The earliest that an F-1 visa can be granted is 90 days before the reporting date listed on Form I-20 (but a student can enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before I-20 program start date).
Canadian Citizens do not need visas to study in the U.S. You do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 (or DS-2019) you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number, and be required to pay a $100 registration fee.
When you cross the border to study you will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:
- Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport for example)
- The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate
- Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee
- Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend
- Proof of your ties to Canada
What Do I Bring?
Traveling internationally can be quite challenging since you are limited as to how much you can carry with you. The temperature in Fayetteville, N.C. ranges from the 30's to the 90's (Fahrenheit) throughout the year. The average temperature in February is about 43° while the average temperature in July is just 85°. Here are some recommendations as to what you should bring as a minimum:
- casual (warm weather) clothes
- two warm sweaters & a warm jacket or coat
- at least one sport coat or suit (guys)
- personal grooming/health/beauty items
- at least one nice dress (girls)
- exercise or athletic clothes and shoes
- umbrella & rain coat or jacket
- alarm clock or radio
- Traditional wear from your country
- Power convertor if needed.
** The International Programs Office will take you out shopping after you arrive so that you can buy your own linens and anything else you did not want to carry in your suitcase.
Plan Your Arrival
You may be refused entry into the United States if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your SEVIS I-20 form.
ALWAYS HAND-CARRY YOUR DOCUMENTS. If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will not be able to present the documents at the port of entry. As a result, you may not be able to enter the United States. Do not pack the following documents in your baggage:
- Your passport, valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay
- SEVIS Form I-20.
In addition, it is strongly recommended that you also hand carry the following documentation:
- Evidence of financial resources
- Evidence of student status, such as recent tuition receipts and transcripts
- Paper receipt for the SEVIS fee, Form I-797
- Name and contact information for your "Designated School Official", including a 24-hour emergency contact number at the school.
For comprehensive information on procedures for traveling and arriving in the United States, visit: http://www.educationusa.info/pages/students/travel.php.
**Students are required to report to their school within 30 days of the date that appears on the SEVIS I-20 form to register for courses or to validate their intended participation. Failure to do so may result in serious consequences.**
Report to the International Programs Office
The International Programs Office maintains international student files for all international students enrolled at Methodist University. You are required to bring the following documents issued to you within 72 hours of your arrival on campus:
- Your passport and your visa
- Your I-94 form
- Your I-20
- Medical form
Copies of these documents will be made for your file and the original will be returned to you. IPO is required by law to maintain the up-to-date information of international students. Therefore, you must update us if there are any changes.