MU E-Mail Login Give to MU MU Blackboard Login MU QEP MU on Facebook MU on Twitter MU on YouTube MU Publications on Issuu MU Photosets on Flickr

 » About Career Services

 » Resources

 » Student Employment

 » Related Links


MU Home » Student Affairs » Office of Career Services

Student Employment Program

What is Federal Work-Study?
Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program that provides subsidized part-time employment for students with financial need. The FWS amount listed on your financial aid award letter is the allotment of money that you may earn during the academic year. Earnings are used to help cover expenses such as books, travel, and other personal expenses. Students are paid twice a month for hours worked. Students who have questions regarding their paychecks or timesheets should contact Methodist University's Payroll Department at (910) 630-7023.

How do I get Work-Study?
Determination of eligibility for the FWS Program is made solely by the Office of Financial Aid, based on federal regulations and information of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students awarded FWS funds must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents awarded annually in the Fall semester and must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours in the Day program.

What Work-Study positions are available?
This is an excellent opportunity for you to learn skills necessary for your future career. There are many different types of positions on campus, and we encourage you to find the one that will best suit your interests, major or career plans. To view a listing of offices/departments available for Student Employment, please click here. If you would like specific information concerning the availability of a position in a particular department, please visit the Office of Career Services (1st floor of the Berns Student Center) or contact the department directly.

Student Employment Steps

  1. Financial Aid Office - You will receive an award letter from the Office of Financial Aid located in Stout Hall indicating the amount of your award. Sign the award letter and return it to the Office of Financial Aid.
  2. College Central Network - Set up an account on College Central Network.
  3. Each student must pick-up his/her "Student Employment Acceptance Form" (Acceptance Form) from the Student Employment Coordinator (S.E.C.) who is located in Berns Student Union. This form is issued by the S.E.C. once the Office of Financial Aid has officially awarded the student employment.
  4. Students having picked-up their Acceptance form are then responsible for finding employment on the Methodist University campus. The S.E.C. can assist and direct students with possible employment opportunities. The S.E.C. will have a complete list of job descriptions that can be reviewed for job availability.
  5. Once an Acceptance form has been completed by the student and the supervisor, the student will turn this form into the S.E.C. The S.E.C. will inform the student of the date he/she can pick-up his/her employment contract in the Payroll Office, located in the Horner Administration Building. It normally takes 24 hours before contracts are ready for pick-up. Students are allowed to begin work the day they have picked-up their contract from the Payroll Office.

    Please Note: First time student employees must bring the following items to the Payroll Office in order to sign and pick-up contracts:

    » Methodist University Identification Card
    1) Name typed identical to that on the Social Security Card; and
    2) Current Validation Sticker properly affixed to the front of the I.D. card.


    » Social Security Card, the REAL thing. (Copies, faxes, stubs, etc. will not be accepted.)


    » One (1) acceptable Employment Eligibility Document such as:

    1) U.S. Passport (unexpired)
    2) Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Card (Form I-551)
    3) Unexpired Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph
    4) Original or Certified Birth Certificate, issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the U.S. bearing an official seal
    5) Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
    6) Native American tribal document
    7) U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
    8) ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the U.S. (Form I-179)

    Prior student employees must bring their Methodist University Identification Card with a current validation sticker properly affixed to the front of the I.D. card.
  6. All international students must have an original Social Security Card.
  7. All students must bring banking information voided check or form from bank with routing number and account number-Direct deposit is mandatory.
  8. All students must complete and have on file in the Payroll Office:
    A) Form W-4 for Federal Tax Withholding;
    B) Form NC-4 for North Carolina State Tax Withholding; and
    C) Form I-9 for Immigration and Naturalization Service-Employment Eligibility Verification.
  9. Students will be assigned to use either the ADP PC Timekeeping or time clock system on campus. Each student will be issued a UserID and temporary password after signing their contract. First time login to the PC timekeeping will require students to change the temporary password to their own unique password.
  10. The Student Employment Coordinator (S.E.C.) in coordination with the Payroll Office is responsible for assisting students, supervisors, and the Financial Aid Office in all aspects of the student employment process. This includes, but is not limited to: the proper use of time-clocks by students, accurate review of time-data by the supervisors, prompt submission of all time by the supervisors, counseling and consulting for both students and supervisors for job related issues. Random spot checking will be conducted for student job attendance and job performance and adherence to University policies and procedure related to student employment.

Student Employment Hours

Wages and Pay Statements

Rules and Guidelines for Student Employment

Questions about Student Employment can be directed to the