AUDUBON BIRDS OF AMERICA
John James Audubon drew the original drawings for his Birds of America set between 1826 and 1838. In 1985, the National Audubon Society and Abbeyville Press contracted for the original drawings to be photographed and reproduced by a Japanese printer. Three hundred and fifty facsimile reproductions in the original double elephant folio size were produced.
The set on display in Davis Memorial Library was donated by Terry Sanford and his wife Margaret Rose. In addition to the four volumes of paintings, the Sanfords donated sets of supporting material bound in the same green leather and a wooden bookcase with stand that was built to display the work. Terry Sanford was the first chairman of the Board of Trustees' at Methodist College (now University) (1956 - 1967) and served on the board until 1993.
Can't visit our library? Digitized images from the entire collection are available online from the Digital Research Library at the University of Pittsburgh.