MU E-Mail Login Give to MU MU Blackboard Login MU QEP MU on Facebook MU on Twitter MU on YouTube MU Publications on Issuu MU Photosets on Flickr

 » Center for Student Success

 » Helpful Links



MU Home » Academics » Center for Student Success

Academic Advising

Mission Statement

The mission of the Academic Advising Program is to provide quality academic and developmental advisement for all students at Methodist University.

The Program

The academic advising program at Methodist University is based on building faculty-student relationships. Most students are assigned an advisor who is a faculty member in the department of the student's major. "Consultations with Academic Advisors" sessions are scheduled regularly by the University and published annually on the Academic Calendar. It is imperative that students check the MyMU portal and Methodist University e-mail address regularly for messages related to academic advising meetings and other important information. Attendance at advising sessions and individual meetings is also a key component of the Methodist University advising program.

The following is an outline of the advising program, starting at the point of a new student's decision to attend Methodist University:

  1. All new students at Methodist University are assigned an advisor upon acceptance by the University and payment of the deposit fee.
  2. Advisors are assigned by the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs who uses choice of major and other considerations, if applicable, as a basis for advisor selection. Most students who have indicated a major will be assigned to a faculty advisor in that department. Students who are undecided about a major will be assigned to faculty advisors who work with that specific group.
  3. Advisors originate a schedule for their new advisees, following University policy related to placement, transfer credits, and other special considerations.
  4. New students are notified of their advisor assignment by via their MU e-mail address. Students should also check their advising tab on the MyMU portal. Advisor contact information (e-mail address, office location, and phone) is included in the e-mail.
  5. Communication between advisors and new students is encouraged and facilitated throughout the assignment process.
  6. Schedules are visible to students on the advising tab of the MyMU portal.

For new day students in the fall semester: advising meetings are scheduled during the Fall Orientation period.

For new MU at Night students throughout the year: The Assistant Dean for MU at Night serves as the initial advisor. Upon declaration of a major, MU at Night students are assigned a co-advisor in the department of their major.

For new day students in the spring semester: All of the above applies, with the exception of Orientation meetings. New spring students will meet their advisor early in the semester during "Consultation with Academic Advisors" sessions. These sessions occur twice during each semester and are publicized on campus calendars and via the MU e-mail system.

Change of Advisor and/or Major

When students wish to change their advisor or their major, a Request for Change form must be completed by the current advisor and submitted to the Registrar. The form is available on the MyMU portal.

Advising Tools and Resources

In addition to regularly scheduled meetings with advisors, there are several resources that students are encouraged to utilize in order to understand their academic curriculum. These are (1) the Academic Catalogue, (2) the Academic Check Sheets, and (3) the Four-Year Suggested Plans.

Students are subject to the graduation requirements of the Academic Catalogue under which they entered, for example, a student entering in fall 2013 would adhere to the requirements of the 2013-2014 Academic Catalogue. Students may request a change of catalogue, but may only move forward to a newer catalogue than their original one. The Academic Catalogue is the most comprehensive reference source for academic programs and policies.

The Academic Check Sheets are summaries of course requirements for a particular major. These check sheets are available for every major at Methodist University and are updated annually.

The Four-Year Suggested Plans recommend to students a strategy for completing degree requirements over a four-year period. These plans are available for every major at Methodist University and are updated annually.

Transfer students should visit the Registrar's Office web site for information about transfer credit evaluation, including transfer credits from North Carolina community colleges, Advanced Placement (AP) scores, and International Baccalaureate (IB) programs.

**More detailed information about academic advising at Methodist University is included in the publication: Becoming a Monarch/A Guide for New Students. The Guide will be posted on the Methodist University web site in July 2013.

Frequently Asked Questions about Advising

What can I do with a major in ____?
Visit the staff in the Office of Career Services in the Berns Center or visit them online.

Who will be my advisor?
The Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs makes the initial assignment for all new MU students. The assignment is based on the students' indication of their probable major and/or concentration. Students will consult with advisors on all matters related to academic affairs and their class schedules. It is imperative that students utilize the MU e-mail system and the MyMU portal regularly for communication from the University related to academic affairs and academic advising. It is also important that students attend all scheduled advising meetings throughout the academic year.

What does "catalogue year" mean?
Each year changes are made to the Academic Catalogue. The catalogue that applies to a student is the catalogue in existence when the student first attends the University. For example, if a student enrolls in 2013, the catalogue year is 2013-2014.

How many hours is a full load?
A full course load is 12 or more semester hours. This is the minimum number of hours to be classified as a full-time student.

What GPA do I need to graduate?
Generally, students need to maintain a GPA of 2.00 or higher a) Overall, b) in residency, c) in the major, d) in the minor and e) in the concentration. However, some majors require higher GPA's so be sure to check your academic catalogue for the GPA requirements for your specific major, minor and/or concentration.

How do I change my major? My advisor?
These changes are facilitated by completing a Request for Change form which is available to advisors on the MyMU portal. The current advisor submits a completed change request form to the Registrar's office.

Is tutoring available at MU?
Yes. Please see the Tutoring Center page for details.

When are the CLEP tests offered?
You must call (910) 630-7151 and schedule an appointment to take the CLEP test at least two days in advance. The fee for CLEP tests is $150 per test. A fee of $75 must be paid to the Business Office prior to taking the CLEP and a fee of $75, payable to the Educational Testing Service, will be required at the time of testing. Payment methods for ETS must be check, money order, or credit card. Allow yourself 2-3 hours for each test you plan to take.

What is Early Registration?
Early Registration is the period of time each semester when students register for the upcoming semester.