MU E-Mail Login Give to MU MU Blackboard Login MU QEP MU on Facebook MU on Twitter MU on YouTube MU Publications on Issuu MU Photosets on Flickr

 » About the Department

 » Related Links



MU Home » Academics » School of Public Affairs » Department of Social Work

Social Work Concentrations


Requirements for the minor in Gerontology with certifications:

18 s.h. including GRN 301 and 350; SWK 235 or BIO 306; GRN 450 or 470; and 6 s.h.from one of the following tracks: Health Care (BHC 200, BHC 430, SOC 305, SOC 388); Social Work (SWK 302, SWK 315, SWK 380, SOC 305, SOC 388).

A student doing a senior level research project or internship in his or her major field may substitute that course for GRN 450 or 470 if it focuses on senior adults and meets the approval of the Director of the Gerontology Program.


Methodist University is certified by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction to grant the BSW license in School Social Work (K-12)

Methodist University requires the following to be licensed in School Social Work:

9 semester hours to include:

  • Social Work 340, EDU 251, and SPE 255,
  • all other requirements for the Social Work major, admission to the Social Work Program and admission to Teacher Education.

Admission to Teacher Education should be completed the semester prior to the field placement. The field placement must be in a school setting. Students must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 and a grade of "C" or better in all Social Work courses and the student's minor professional sequence.

For further information please contact George Hendricks at 1-910-630-7056 or