Physician Assistant Program Admissions Timeline
The following admissions timeline is for those applicants wanting to matriculate into the program in August 2021.
Prior to the CASPA Application Opening (November 2019-April 2020)
In preparation for the application opening, applicants should:
- Evaluate prerequisite completion timeline
- Coursework: Determine if all prerequisite coursework will be completed by the start date of August 2021. Although the program does not have a minimum number of prerequisite courses that have to be completed at the time of application, the majority of competitive applicants have the majority of courses completed. Applicants may have outstanding prerequisite courses at the time of application and acceptance, but must have a plan in place to complete them by the start date. If applicants have the majority of prerequisite coursework still left to take by April 2020, are in the process of retaking multiple courses to achieve a higher grade, or have just started a post-bacc or master’s program to enhance one’s application, he or she should consider delaying the application for a cycle.
- GRE: Prepare and take the GRE. The recommended score for the GRE is 297. Applicants who have not achieved this score should consider retaking the GRE. The later an applicant takes the GRE, the more it delays the program from considering the applicant for an interview. Official scores (including retakes) must be received by the application deadline.
- Clinical Experience: If no clinical experience with direct patient contact has been accumulated by the opening date of the application, applicants may want to consider delaying the application for a cycle until hours are complete. Although applicants may be in-progress of completing clinical experience, competitive applicants exceed the minimum requirement of 500 hours at the time of application.
- Review CASPA’s FAQ page, including the GPA calculator function. Applicants should familiarize themselves with the different stages that will be associated with their application.
- Gather unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended. These are needed for the grade entry section of the CASPA application. Official transcripts must be mailed from each specific school.
- Contact individuals to write letters of recommendation.
- Write your personal statement.
- Organize experiences such as: employment, patient care, related health care, volunteering, shadowing, and leadership positions. Applicants must enter the title of the position, dates in the position (mm/yy), number of hours served, supervisor name and contact, and a description of the position/responsibilities on the CASPA application. Documentation is not required.
- Narrow down the list of PA schools that interest you and organize each program’s requirements, deadlines, and whether or not a supplemental application is required (MUPAP does NOT require a supplemental application).
- Prepare finances for both the application process, possible travel expenses for interviews, and enrollment deposits, if available.
April 30, 2020
The CASPA application opens for the 2020-2021 cycle (entry August 2021) on April 30, 2020. The program does not utilize a supplemental application and operates on rolling admissions. Applicants are encouraged to apply early in the cycle as it is possible the majority or all selections could be made by the deadline of January 15, 2021, or shortly thereafter.
Applicants who apply to the program will receive a confirmation email from our program within 7-14 business days of the application being verified. It is the responsibility of the applicant to follow up with the program if he/she does not receive email communication from the program. Applicants are encouraged to log into their CASPA application weekly to reference the application status and identify any missing materials that would delay the application from going through the verification process (i.e. missing transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.).
Late-July 2020-Spring 2021
Applicant interviews take place on a monthly basis. Interview dates are not made available to applicants, and selections are made on a monthly basis. Interviews will continue until the cohort and alternate list are filled.
January 15, 2021
January 15, 2021 is the deadline for all application materials, including official GRE scores. The CASPA application must be e-submitted, completed, and verified by this date. The MUPAP does not extend or waive the application deadlines for any reason, including technical issues experienced by the applicant.
April 1, 2021
Considerations for the August 2020 cycle close. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will be notified via email.
Late April 2021
The 2021-2022 application opens for entry into August 2022’s class.