Interested students are advised to contact the Chair of the Department of Philosophy and Religion. Though not always a requirement, a religion major provides the student with certain advantages at the seminary level. The American Association of Theological Schools recommends that pre-seminary training include a total of 90 s.h. in religion, English, history, philosophy, psychology and other social sciences, and a foreign language (Arabic, French, German, Greek, or Latin), with an area of concentration chosen from religion and philosophy, language and literature, or social science. Suggested minimum semester hours are as follows:
- English Composition and Literature: 12 s.h.
- Philosophy (history, content and method): 3 s.h.
- Speech Communication: 3 s.h.
- Psychology: 3 s.h.
- History (ancient, modern European, American): 6 s.h.
- Other Social Sciences: 9 s.h.
- Religion: 6-12 s.h.