- Business Administration
- Financial Economics
- Human Resource Management
- International Business
- PGA Golf Management
- Professional Tennis Management
- Resort and Club Management
- Sport Management
Accounting is the language of business. Our mission in the Accounting Department is to prepare our students to speak and understand this language as they begin their professional careers. Accounting is one of the fastest growing professions in the United States and is expected to provide a wide variety of employment for years to come. The Accounting Department strives to provide the tools for all students to advance to the highest levels of upper management and the chance to make significant contributions in their chosen field.
- Accounting students will be able to apply accounting principles, theory, and ethics to business decision-making.
- Accounting students will be able to prepare and analyze the accounting and financial information generated by individuals and entities for internal and external reporting purposes.
- Accounting students will be able to effectively communicate business and accounting information.
- Accounting students will have an understanding of the ethical issues facing accountants in the workplace.
- Accounting students will have the opportunity to participate in projects that require applying accounting knowledge and skills. Programs may include Methodist University’s Community Engagement program, Study Abroad, and volunteer opportunities.
The Mission of the Department of Business Administration is to provide a professional educational environment that fosters excellence in teaching, leadership, and community engagement by adapting to the needs of a dynamic, globally-competitive business community.
Students who graduate from the Reeves School of Business and Economics with a major in Business Administration will:
- Business Administration students will develop an understanding of information required to meet future demands of business and economics, including the impact of the global economy.
- Business Administration students will be able to understand and evaluate ethical issues as they relate to organizations and their social responsibility.
- Business Administration students will acquire professional skills and knowledge by participating in experiential and applied learning opportunities, including internships, co-operative work experiences, projects, practical experiences, volunteer experiences, and international experience.
- Business Administration students will be prepared to be successful in their subsequent professional and/or academic careers by demonstrating proficiency in oral and written communication.
The mission of the Center for Entrepreneurship at Methodist University is to maximize the strength of our business and military community in order to begin a ground swell of new job creation and job retention initiatives – positively impacting our region, our state, and our nation.
We do this by training our students (traditional high school graduates as well as transitioning military personnel) to start new businesses and/or become successors to existing businesses. Through recognition, collaboration, and hard work, we help local businesses connect the dots between success and succession.
Our mission promotes our business community and prepares our students – our future alumni – for business ownership, wealth production and job creation.
- Entrepreneurship students will think critically, and employ the critical thinking process to solve problems and issues facing entrepreneurs and many small, medium, and large businesses today.
- Entrepreneurship students will describe and understand how to finance various entrepreneurial endeavors.
- Entrepreneurship students will assist in the succession process and development of a family business.
- Entrepreneurship students will identify the types of human, information, and financial resources required for launching and managing a new venture.
The Mission of the Department of Financial Economics is to help students understand economic theories and to discover ways to apply their acquired knowledge and skills into everyday life. Our liberal arts program is designed to cultivate the study of economics as a way of thinking. Students are encouraged to explore the fundamentals of economic theory, particularly concepts that directly pertain to the operations of domestic and global financial markets and institutions. Students are expected to demonstrate clear, analytical thinking in their written and verbal expressions. Our program aims to enable students to apply their knowledge into real life decision-making. Students are encouraged to consider how economics relates to social, ethical, political, environmental, and global issues.
- Students will understand the economy at the aggregate level and how government policies affect the macroeconomy.
- Financial Economics majors will gain an understanding of the allocations and distributions of resources of the overall economy.
- Financial Economics students will have the opportunity to participate in projects that require applying economic knowledge and skills.
- Students will develop skills in quantitative analysis and computer applications.
- Students will be effective written communicators of economic concepts.
- Students will demonstrate basic knowledge of the functional areas of business such as, accounting, marketing, economics and finance.
- Students will gain a broad understanding of the Human Resource function and how it relates to the overall management function.
- Students will have an understanding of the law and be able to manage the relationship between management and union organizations.
- Students will gain experience in Human Resource Management through internships and practical experiences.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in communication and negotiation.
- Students will have a thorough understanding of employment laws and their impact on management.
- International Business students will be able to evaluate and apply the principles and theory of international business.
- International Business students will have the ability to detect cultural prejudices and develop acceptance of cultural diversity.
- International Business students will be able to effectively communicate international business information.
The mission of the Department of Marketing is to educate students to function in and adapt to the dynamic marketing environment by engaging in effective teaching, quality scholarship, and professional service.
- Marketing students will understand the role and practice of marketing within an organization, including substantive knowledge in theoretical and applied aspects of marketing.
- Marketing students will have knowledge of how to develop, analyze, and evaluate strategic and tactical marketing plans and programs, and to assess marketing performance.
- Marketing students will be able to effectively communicate business and marketing information.
- Marketing students will have an understanding of the ethical issues facing marketers in the workplace.
The mission of the Department of Management is to pursue excellence in advancing knowledge and practice in management, organizational design, and organizational strategy. The faculty will prepare professional and ethical leaders to be successful in a competitive, diverse and global business environment.
- Management students will demonstrate understanding and application of the principles and functions of management.
- Management students will demonstrate understanding and application of organizational strategy in a changing, global environment.
- Management students will understand the role of working within and leading in group environments.
- Management students will demonstrate an awareness of socially responsible and ethical behavior.
The mission of the PGA Golf Management University Program is to recruit diverse and talented students and develop them into committed professionals by providing a comprehensive and progressive educational program designed to prepare future PGA Members for a life-long career in golf. Students will gain valuable work experience and enhanced playing and teaching skills, while fostering a sense of community through enjoyment and involvement in the game of golf.
- Students will successfully pass PGA Playing Ability Test.
- Students will complete and pass all PGA testing requirements.
- Students will complete all PGA 2.0 work experiences per each level.
- Students will acquire and complete 16 months of internships.
- Program will assist students in securing post-graduate employment in the golf industry.
The Methodist University Professional Tennis Management program will Engage, Enrich, and Empower its students with the necessary skill sets, experience, and network to flourish successfully within the tennis industry as a viable career path. Our program emphasizes moral values and ethical decision making in all courses and activities.
- Students will earn the appropriate certifications and qualifications to facilitate employment opportunities.
- Students will experience a hands-on learning environment.
- Students will network with a wide variety of industry leaders to increase their business contacts.
- Students will develop their playing and teaching skills through structured on court activities.
- Students will utilize current and state-of-the-art applications relevant within the tennis industry.
We are committed to the development of life-long learners through sound academic course work and experiential learning opportunities leading to starting career and leadership positions in the global hospitality field.
- Resort, Club and Hospitality program students (RMT) will have an understanding of the need for and implications of ethical standards in the hospitality field.
- RMT students will be able to apply academic knowledge and best practices in field of club and resort operations management.
- RMT students will be able to analyze and evaluate competing methods of project and asset management.
- RMT students will effectively communicate business information and analysis in the form of memos, reports and visual presentations.
- RMT students will have the opportunity to participate in regional and national conferences promoting knowledge in the hospitality field and professional networking.
The mission of the Sport Management (SMA) Program at Methodist University is to prepare students for careers as entry-level sport managers and to promote sport management excellence in the region.
- Ethics: Encourage students to develop a personal code of values and ethics and adhere to moral and ethical principles,
- including those based on codes of professional ethics
- Professionalism: Present standards of professionalism expected in business environments.
- Engagement: Promote experiential and applied learning opportunities, including internships, co-operative work
- experiences, projects, integrative experiences, and service learning.
- Leadership: Prepare students to be successful in their subsequent professional and/or academic careers
- Global: Provide student opportunities and experiences that will encourage their appreciation and participation in our global society.
- To develop communication skills (written and oral) for students to be prepared for the professional work environment within the sport industry.
- To increase the students’ awareness and appreciation for community engagement through service learning projects.
- To prepare students for future employment within their chosen career path through intentional work experiences (internships).