Courses and GPA Requirements
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 Scale
- A minimum prerequisite course grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, and have no prerequisite courses with a grade less than a C.
- Candidates are expected to have no more than two prerequisite courses remaining to be taken in the Spring after they apply. However, exceptions may be considered at the discretion of the Admissions Committee. All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to starting the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
- Prerequisite courses are as follows:a. Chemistry, 8 credits: General College Chemistry I and II with labs.
b. Physics, 8 credits: General College Physics I and II with labs.
c. Biology, 8 credits: General Biology I and II with labs (Botany, Zoology, and Ecology courses are not acceptable) or General Biology I and upper level Biology with labs. Suggested courses include Microbiology, Embryology, and Cellular Physiology. Exercise Physiology may be accepted, at the discretion of the admissions committee, in lieu of the upper level biology course.
d. Human Anatomy and Physiology, 8 credits: Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II or individual courses of Human Anatomy and Human Physiology with a lab in each.
e. Statistics, 3 credits: Introductory Statistics.
f. Psychology, 6 credits: Two semesters of psychology including General Psychology and one additional psychology course. Suggested courses include Developmental Psychology, Child Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, or Psychology of Disability.
- Biology, Anatomy, Physiology, and Chemistry prerequisite courses must have been completed within ten years prior to application. Work experience or graduate level education in a related field (e.g., athletic training, exercise physiology etc.) may be accepted, at the discretion of the admissions committee, in lieu of the ten-year prerequisite course time limitation.
- Advanced placement credits are not accepted for prerequisite courses.
- The Methodist University DPT Program will allow two courses, up to 8 credit hours, to be graded as ‘pass/fail’, and still allow your acceptance into the DPT program. The courses graded ‘pass/fail’ are only accepted during the spring or summer semesters of 2020.
GRE and Other Testing
Official scores must be provided to the program to be considered for an interview and scores must be within 5 years of applying.
GRE scores must be sent directly to PTCAS and the program via our MUDPT school code of 1683.
- The program recommends that verbal and quantitative scores be within the 20th percentile or higher.
- The program recommends the analytical writing section score be a 3.0 or higher.
For non-native speakers of English, a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) will also be required.
- TOEFL-iBT minimum composite score of 89 with minimum subsets; 24 Writing, 26 Speaking, 21 Reading and Comprehension, and 18 listening
- Comparable Scores would be 220 on the computer based exam, 560 on the paper based exam, a TSE of 50 and/or a TWE of 4.5.
Foreign Graduates: Completion of degree outside of the United States
- Applicants must have their transcripts evaluated by the World Education Services (WES) to determine if the degree is equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in the United States. If the evaluation determines work done outside the US is equivalent to a bachelor’s degree the applicant has met the degree requirement. If the evaluation does not determine equivalency to a bachelor’s degree the applicant does not meet the requirements for entry into the program. Degree equivalency is the only item of importance the program will consider on the WES evaluation.
- If the applicant has degree equivalency on the WES but lacks specific prerequisite courses, any prerequisites that are lacking must be taken in the United States in order to be considered for admission.
- In addition to GRE scores, non-native speakers of English foreign graduates must complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The program will not allow substitution of an English course or certificate in place of TOEFL scores. Minimum scores are noted in item 6.b.i. and ii. above.
- Foreign graduates must also complete the GRE and follow the same application process through PTCAS.