International Students & CPT

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a form of work authorization that allows F-1 students to engage in an off-campus academic internship or employment that is a required or an integral part of their academic curriculum, as stated in the University catalogue.

International students attending Methodist University on an F-1 visa can only engage in and be approved for CPT if it is part of their curriculum (required) OR if academic credit is being received (if the internship is not mandatory for graduation from Methodist University).

CPT Student Eligibility and Restrictions:

  • Students must have completed one academic year in valid F-1 status. Transfer students who have maintained valid F-1 status at another institution will be given credit for the one academic year of valid F-1status if they transferred their SEVIS record to Methodist University.
  • Students must have obtained an internship that is directly related to their major or minor.
  • Students must be enrolled in an internship course and receive academic credit during the academic term the internship will take place or practical training must be a part of the curriculum and required for graduation.
  • Undergraduate students engaging in CPT during the academic year must maintain full-time enrollment (i.e., 12 s.h. day credits). During the summer, undergraduate students engaging in CPT must register for at least one credit of an internship course.
  • Students are restricted to working no more than 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. There are no limits to the number of hours students can work during the summer for CPT.
  • Students must apply for CPT work authorization each semester they wish to engage in off-campus employment.
  • Students cannot begin working off-campus (including orientations or training) until after they have received CPT approval from the Methodist University International Program Office.

Note: Beginning Fall 2019, Interdisciplinary (IDS) Internship Courses are available for students who do not have an existing Internship Course in their academic major or minor.

Contact the Methodist University International Programs Office for more information.