Master of Education: Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I am seeking my first teaching license?

The M.Ed. Program is for those who have already met the requirements for the initial teaching license for Physical Education, Special Education, and Coaching/Athletic Administration. The M.Ed. program does lead to initial teaching license in Literacy. Lateral entry teachers or those wishing to earn their initial Class A North Carolina teaching license through MU should call the NC Department of Instruction at (919) 760-8316.

Does my undergraduate degree need to be in Education?

No, you are not required to have an Education degree.

Do I need to take an Entrance exam for admission into the program?

No, you are not required to take the GRE or the GMAT.

Am I eligible for federal funds if I have not completed my four-year degree?

No, a  four-year degree is required to be eligible for federal funds.

How long will it take to complete the program?

Our programs are designed to be completed in either one year or two years. See the Typical Schedule.

When are classes held?

Typically, classes are held either one or two nights a week from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.