Methodist University will welcome 566 new students, including 360 freshmen, when New Student Orientation begins on Thursday, Aug. 16. Move-in and registration open at 8 a.m. Orientation activities will run through Sunday, followed by the first day of classes on Monday, Aug. 20.
Campus and community volunteers, many from area churches, will be on hand to greet the students and their families and help them move into their residence halls on Thursday.
Highlights of orientation include:
- 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday New student check-in, Berns Student Center
- 4-4:50 p.m. Thursday “Welcome to MU” pep rally, Nimocks Fitness Center
- 6-7 p.m. Thursday Family cookout on The Quad
- 7:30-9 p.m. Thursday Mentalist Craig Karges, Nimocks Fitness Center
- 2:30-4 p.m. Friday University Fair, March F. Riddle Athletic Center
- 6:30-9 p.m. Friday Rise Against Hunger meal packing in Nimocks Fitness Center
- 9-11 p.m. Friday Monarch Madness (part 1) in Berns Student Center
- 7:30 -11:30 p.m. Saturday Monarch Madness (part 2) on the outdoor basketball courts
- 9:30-10:30 a.m. Sunday Orientation chapel service on The Quad
For the fourth year, the freshman class will be participating in a group service project. This year’s class will be packing 55,000 meals in two hours for Rise Against Hunger, an international hunger relief organization.
The University also will welcome the first cohort of Doctor of Occupational Therapy students this semester. This year is also scheduled to mark the dedication of the Sharon and Ron Matthews Ministry Center and the Union-Zukowski Lobby and Gallery.
Please note: Activities are not open to the general public, but media representatives are welcome.