Please join us for the 9th annual Yuletide Feaste!
The history of our Feaste celebration began in 2011 when Dr. Michael Martin wanted to re-create the Feaste celebrations he celebrated at Kent State University. Working with permissions secured by Kent’s former director, Dr. C.M. Shearer, the event was able to take place in December, 2011. Costumes were created and coordinated with the help of Ruth Minor and the Gilbert Theater. With a blast of the herald trumpet, Methodist University began their own Feaste celebration!
Now in its 9th season, it is a joint venture between Friends of Music at Methodist and the Methodist University Music Department, with support from Haymount United Methodist Church. Taking its participants and audience back to the time of Queen Elizabeth I, the Yuletide Feaste is a Renaissance-style dinner engagement featuring an elegant four-course meal, a festive banquet hall setting, a large cast of costumed characters straight out of Tudor England, and MU students singing carols appropriate for the Christmas season.
This season represents our ninth season presenting Feaste with each year becoming more special and diverse. This year will feature:
- Queen Elizabeth’s court (The Methodist University Chorale)
- The Methodist University Chamber Singers
- Trumpet Fanfares
- Early music provided by our partnership with the Greensleeves Consort
The Evening’s Festivities
MU Chamber Singers
Dudley / Herald / Steward
Herald / Steward
The Procession of the Court
Song: “Masters In The Hall”
The Procession of the Queen
Steward / Queen Elizabeth I
Song: “The Wassail Song”
Toast to the Queen
Song: “Lord, for Thy Tender Mercy’s Sake”
Wassail Bowl Processional
Song: “The Boar’s Head Carol”
- First Course: Artisan Crusty Rolls with Butter, Fruit and Cheese Platters, Wassail
- Second Course: Butternut Squash Soup
- Third Course: Stuffed Chicken with Smoked Gouda, Sun-dried Tomatoes & Spinach, wild rice pilaf, roasted root vegetables, green beans – Grilled Portobello Mushrooms (vegetarian option, plus vegetables in the 3rd course)
Song: “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”
- Fourth Course: A flaming figgy pudding with custard sauce
The Post-Feaste Toasts
Courtiers present toasts
MU Chamber Singers
“My Friends We Must Now Leave Thee”
The Queen invites guests to stand and sing the last two verses of “Silent Night.”
Our meal is coordinated through Aramark Catering services:
- Dates: December 6 and 7, 2019
- Show: 7:30 pm – doors open at 7 pm
- Place: Haymount United Methodist Church, 1700 Fort Bragg Rd, Fayetteville, NC 28303
- Price: $45 per person
Persons wishing to attend should:
- go online here to reserve your seat, or,
- send a physical copy of the registration form with your credit card number to Linda Volman Lane at Methodist University, 5400 Ramsey St., Fayetteville, NC, 28311, or,
- send a physical copy of the registration form and check payable to Friends of Music at Methodist University, writing December 6 or December 7 on the memo/for line to indicate the preferred evening.
In the event of a sellout, the checks of those for whom no seats are available will be promptly returned.
Notices for Guests
- Deadline for registration is November 25, 2019 so that food for the event can be ordered.
- A reserved table will be provided for groups of 12 people only. If you have a smaller group, please have your party gather outside the event and when you come in we will try to seat you all together. This is necessary because of the event space.
- In keeping with the policies of Methodist University, no alcohol will be served.
- Dress is semi-formal or period clothes if you would like.
- Doors open at 7:00 p.m. and the meal and entertainment will begin promptly at 7:30 p.m. and conclude at 9:00 p.m.
- Food is not gluten-free.
- Parking at the church is ample with the entrance to the event on the Pearl Street side of the church.
- Should patrons be unable to attend the event in advance of the Nov. 25 deadline, online ticket refunds will be issued minus a $5 fee for processing. Should patrons want a refund prior to the Nov. 25 from a reservation mailed or delivered to the University, patrons will need to supply a Form W-9 to the University before receiving their refund. No refunds are possible after Nov. 25.