The spring and summer of 2020 was an unparalleled time in American history that affected the delivery of higher education throughout the United States. If any of you had to complete your prerequisites during the challenges the nation dealt with during the Covid-19 pandemic, we realize that you may have been offered a ‘pass/fail’ option for grading once instruction moved to a distance education format. Historically, our policy has been that we do not accept ‘pass/fail’ grades for prerequisite coursework. We do realize that the spring and summer of 2020 was a unique time in education, therefore we are willing to have some flexibility. The Methodist University Nursing Program has agreed that we will allow two courses, up to 8 credit hours, to be graded as ‘pass/fail’, and still count toward your prerequisite requirements. This policy modification applies only to courses taken during the spring 2020 or summer 2020 semester.
- Successful completion of the following Pre-nursing courses with a grade of “C” or higher (no C-): Nursing Notes, Medical Terminology, General Psychology, Statistics, General Chemistry, 2 semesters of Anatomy & Physiology, and Microbiology. Students who fail to achieve a minimum grade of C in any pre-requisite nursing course may repeat the course one time only. Students who subsequently receive a second grade of below C in any pre-requisite nursing course are not eligible to progress to the Nursing program.
- Successful completion of the science courses A&P I, A&P II, and Microbiology with a “C” or higher (no C-) within the past 5 years with only 2 attempts. If the science courses previously listed have been attempted more than twice, only the chronological first 2 attempts will be considered in the ranking process of which the applicant must have made a “C” or better. If the science course(s) have been taken greater than 5 years, the applicant will have to retake the course(s) with the attempt process starting over.
- Students may be considered for conditional acceptance to the Nursing Program with General Education core semester hours still outstanding. No more than 3 General Education core classes outstanding is recommended. All remaining General Education core requirements must be completed by the end of the summer semester prior to entering the senior year of nursing courses.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of the Kaplan nursing entrance exam with a 65 or higher .
- Signed validation of the nursing program Essential Functions for Admission, Progression, and Graduation form.
- Submission of a completed supplemental application to the Nursing Department by the advertised deadline with all required supporting documents.
- Interview with the Nursing Program Admissions Committee.
- Applicants to the Pre-Licensure BSN Program must be current Methodist University students. Transfer students may be accepted but should read the section below titled Transfer Students.
Following acceptance into the Nursing Program, all students must provide documentation of (1) required immunizations, (2) a physical exam medically clearing the student prior to the start of fall classes, (3) a cleared criminal background check, (4) a negative drug screen, and (5) current American Heart Association BLS CPR for healthcare professionals. In addition, Nursing students may be required to return to campus prior to the start of fall classes for orientation and certifications.
Nursing Program students are responsible for any additional expenses related to the physical exams and immunizations as well as other program related costs, including but not limited to: clothing, transportation to clinical sites, or memberships.
Nursing Program students are required to maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 and must complete all NUR courses with a grade of B- (80).
Transfer students who wish to apply to the Nursing Program are encouraged to apply to the University early so official transcripts may be evaluated for transfer credit. Acceptance or non-acceptance of transfer courses to Methodist University will be at the discretion of the Methodist University Registrar and/or the appropriate Department Chair(s).
To apply for the online RN to BSN from Methodist University, you’ll need the following:
- Completed application
- Associate degree or diploma
- Unrestricted RN License
For more information on these requirements, see our online Admissions page.