Name: Edward “Trey” Samuelian
Hometown: Fayetteville, N.C.
Expected Grad Year: May 2022
Major: Resort, club, and hospitality management
- Activities: Head Resident Assistant, Marching Band, Writing Center, Tour Guide
- Interests: Music, Movies, Star Wars, Comic Books
- What is your favorite part of MU’s campus and why?
My favorite part of MU’s campus is the nature trail down past the baseball field. The trail runs along the Cape Fear River, so the scenery is amazing. It is also quiet, which makes it a good place to go take a walk and decompress.
- What is your pet peeve?
My pet peeve is people walking slowly in front of me.
- What do you spend most of your free time doing?
I spend most of my free time hanging out with friends around campus and playing pool.
- What do you hope to do with your degree after graduating from MU?
After graduating, I hope to pursue a career in club/resort youth recreation.
- Tell us about a time you “pulled an all-nighter” studying or preparing a project.
I don’t think I’ve ever had to pull an all-nighter to study for a project, but occasionally my friends and I will stay up until the early morning talking in the lobby and eating Taco Bell. Most recently we debated which actor has portrayed Batman the best. Personally, I believe the best Batman to date is Michael Keaton.
- What qualities should someone in resort, club, and hospitality management possess?
Someone in hospitality management should be flexible and enjoy working with people. The field requires a lot of patience and interpersonal interactions with guests, but being able to host events and make guests happy is a very rewarding experience.
- What do your friends say you are best at?
My friends say I am best at talking with people.
- If you could manage any resort/hotel in the world, which would it be and why?
There isn’t a specific resort I would like to manage, but I would prefer to work somewhere in the mountains with an active membership. I enjoy living in the mountains, and clubs located in this area always have a great view. Working at an active club would also be nice because I would like to manage a recreation program for the youth members of a club.
- If you were in a hospitality position in your future workplace, what celebrity do you hope would visit during your work shift?
I would love to meet Meghan Trainor in my future workplace! I am a huge fan of her music and I feel like she has a great personality. Also she’s married to Daryl Sabara from Spy Kids, so if she visited with her husband I would be able to meet him as well.
- Describe your favorite meal.
My favorite meal is the Terminator Burger at the recently-closed Massey Hill Grill. The Terminator Burger was a ½ pound sandwich served “all the way” with cheese and bacon, topped with an onion ring. The grill was next door to my high school, and I made some great memories going there with my friends.