PGA Golf Management Tournament Program
We offer a full tournament schedule organized and implemented by the Tournament Committee. It consists of a faculty advisor, a PGA Golf Management student director and volunteer students who wish to gain a further understanding of the intricacies of operating successful golf tournaments. The tournaments are divided into weekly competitions designated as the Monarch Tour (a weekly competition), the Club Championship, the Monarch Cup, the Hogge Cup, the Winter Classic, and the Spring Shootout. We also host four PGA Playing Ability tests; two in the fall and two in the spring.
The Monarch Tour
The Monarch Tour is a series of weekly, 9-hole tournaments, designed for player development and skill improvement. There are ten (10) tournaments scheduled for each semester. The tournament formats consists of individual and team competition. There is no entry fee for the Monarch Tour. Golf shop credit is issued as the payout and a point system is employed to reward the top players. Top players make up the Carolinas Cup team.
The Major Tournaments
The Major Tournaments are events for individuals and teams usually conducted on the weekends. The Club Championship is a match play format, the Monarch Cup is a 12-player team event that models after the Ryder Cup, the Hogge Cup is a 14-player “battle of the classes”, the Winter Classic is a two-player event involving several formats and the Spring Shoot-Out is a 6-player team event. Each event has a nominal entry fee which covers the costs of meals, awards, and play. These events are designed and administered by the PGA Golf Management students for the PGA Golf Management students. Parents, to purchase funds for your son or daughter to be applied to their tournament package, click here.
- PGA Men’s Club Championship – stroke play qualifier to get to the top 64 players. The qualifiers play matches throughout the fall semester to arrive at a champion.
- Monarch Cup – 12-player event with multiple match play formats such as better of pairs, alternate shot (foursome), single matches. Similar to a Ryder Cup format.
- Women’s Club Championship – starts after the women’s golf season is over in October. It is match play for the all the PGM women and Women’s Golf team members for the remainder of the semester to arrive at champion.
- Hogge Cup – Battle of the Class is a 14-player team format with men and women from each class playing a variety of formats in match-play events until a class champion is named.
- Winter Classic – two-person 36-hole event using a variety of stroke play formats such as alternate shot, scramble, shamble, and better ball of pairs.
- Spring Shootout – 6-player team event with multiple formats including better of pairs, alternate shot, scramble and singles.
- Monarch Tour Championship – Monarch Tour winners from the school year along with a few top-point players