In 2019 Methodist University welcomed president, Dr. Stanley T. Wearden, who has engaged the MU community in the following strategic initiatives to position Methodist University as a thriving university now and into the future:
- Build a Comprehensive Framework to Advance Student Success with a focus on continuous improvement in student retention, persistence, graduation rates and the overall student experience.
- Extend the MU Reach by expanding online programs, community college articulations, and military and community partnerships.
- Embed Career Readiness and Civic Engagement in Curriculum and Campus Life by providing intentional connections between academic and career advising, expanding of on-campus and off-campus internships and professional experiences, creating coursework and research opportunities connected to the wider community, and mentoring to guide students in exploration of personal and professional vocation.
- Commit to Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging by building a campus culture that embraces, celebrates, and creates policies and practices to uphold these values.
- Increase Endowment in Support of Student Scholarships to create self-perpetuating funding to support students seeking a Methodist University education.
- Partner with Cape Fear Valley Health to Create a School of Medicine focused on educating a diverse population of expertly trained medical doctors attentive to the needs of rural and underserved populations, and becoming a national leader in interprofessional, team-based medical education.