Commencement is a long-standing tradition that celebrates the achievements of our graduates. It is the culmination of our students’ hard work over the course of the last four years (and sometimes even longer), and in the case of our graduate students, intensive study over a shorter period of time.
Winter Commencement Cancelled
October 9, 2020
Dear members of the Methodist University community,
I write to share the disappointing news that we will not be able to hold in-person baccalaureate and commencement celebrations in December. Instead, we will hold a virtual ceremony and recognition of our December graduates.
As you know, we had hoped to hold these ceremonies with our May 2020 and December 2020 graduates at the Crown Center on December 12. Unfortunately, the continued threat of high levels of COVID-19 transmission, combined with the height of cold and flu season, make holding an in-person, indoor event with hundreds of participants unwise, imprudent, and unsafe. Protecting the health and safety of our students, their families, their home communities, our staff, and our faculty is our highest order of concern in making this decision.
Later today, December graduates will receive specific information from the Office of the Registrar with details on how to order regalia and when to expect home delivery of diplomas and diploma covers. In the coming weeks, we will share information with the entire MU community on the virtual baccalaureate and celebration of December graduates.
If we are able to hold an in-person ceremony in May 2021, we will welcome the participation of all 2020 graduates.
I thank you all for your commitment to creating a safe campus and a safe fall semester for all.
Stanley T. Wearden, Ph.D.
Additional information for the baccalaureate and commencement celebrations in December.
- After degree audits are finalized on December 12, MU will place the order for your diploma, diploma cover, and any honors medals you have earned. Those items will be delivered from our vendor, Jostens, directly to the home address we have on file for you. Please take time to make sure we have an accurate home address for you on file in the MU Portal. Delivery after the order is placed can take 4-6 weeks.
- If you would like to purchase your Methodist University regalia, you can do so directly through Jostens at this link (click on Graduation Caps & Gowns): https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/customer/1051980/Methodist-University/
- The $150 graduation fee for all December graduates will be refunded.
- The baccalaureate celebration (A Festival of Lessons & Carols) will be shown on the MU YouTube Channel on Friday, Dec. 11 at 4 p.m. Based on the annual Christmas Eve service at King’s College, Cambridge, this service will feature the Methodist University Chorale, voice and instrumental soloists, and readers from the graduating class leading the congregation in seasonal prayers, carols, and hymns. For more information, contact Ruth Carr, at (910) 630-7157 or email@example.com.
- It is the graduates’ responsibility to provide a portrait image for the virtual celebration. MU offered three free portrait events, and may provide one more, but as instructed in multiple emails, graduates who did not take advantage of the portrait events should send in their portrait no later than Nov. 23 to be included in the video.To be included and represent the magnitude of this event, images must be:
- 1M or larger and in color.
- Professional business attire must be worn. (t-shirts, shorts, messaged clothing, hats… will not be permitted).
- Photos should be taken indoors and have “generic” backgrounds. Nothing busy/distracting or personal.
- Do not send physical photographs, they will not used or mailed back.
- MU is not charging for the portrait shoots or inclusion in the video, nor is MU requesting that you get professional portraits taken (hiring a photographer or studio). That is at your discretion and you would be responsible for any fees.
- Please send your digital images (or send any questions you may have) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to celebrating your MU experience and accomplishment with you.
December Celebration Watch Party
December 12, 2020 | 10:00 a.m.
Join us for a celebration of our December 2020 graduates on the Methodist University YouTube Channel.
Graduates with regalia are invited to post pictures with the hashtag #MethodistU2020 for a virtual turning of the tassel.