Student Access & Accommodation Services is proud to support our student veterans, active-duty servicemembers, and their dependents. We understand that, in your service to our nation, you may have experienced life-changing events that have led to the diagnosis of physical, medical, or mental health issues that interfere with your day-to-day life. We are committed to working with you and providing the best possible services, programs, and resources you may need to pursue your educational goals. Information you may find useful is listed below.

Veterans thinking about returning to school should read the Office for Civil Rights, Department of Education, OCR Letter to Veterans,  OCR Letter to Veterans. The letter provides about what to expect, preparation tips, and your rights as a returning veteran.

How to Request Accommodations

Requesting accommodations is CONFIDENTIAL and is a three-step process. Accommodations can be used for surgeries, injury recovery, back injuries, anxiety, depression, hearing loss, and/or PTSD, just to name a few.

The first step to register with MU’s Student Access & Accommodation Services is to complete the online Student Information Sheet.

The second step is to submit documentation of the disability. Documentation can be submitted to our office via email to Your documentation can come from:

  • VA Decision Letter with rating and diagnosis that can be printed from your eBenefits
  • DD Form 2808
  • Service Treatment Records
  • Civilian Provider.

Be sure to ONLY send the page with your diagnosis, physical limitations if any, when coming from military/VA medical records.

The third step is to schedule an intake appointment to determine the appropriate accommodations to meet your specific needs.

MU Veteran Services Representative

Randy Smith, Director of Veterans Services, is responsible for assisting all students eligible for Veterans Administration Education benefits. The Veterans Services Office is located on the first floor of the Berns Student Center. Contact Mr. Smith at 910.630.7174 or