Methodist University is Military Friendly®
Methodist University has been named by G.I. Jobs magazine as a Military Friendly School® each year from 2012-2018. We have also been recognized by Military Advanced Education & Transition as one of the Top Colleges & Universities since 2017. Military Times has named us a 2018 Best College after we received their 2017 Best for Vets designation.
About the Office of Veteran Services
Veterans and active duty service members may be eligible for various educational benefits to help finance their education. Methodist University’s Office of Veteran Services is here to assist veterans and their dependents with any questions you may have. The Office of Veteran Services is located in Joe W. Stout Hall, room 100. To begin the process of using your benefits at Methodist University, you will need to complete the following:
Apply for Admission
Office of Admissions
5400 Ramsey Street
Fayetteville, NC 28311
- Apply online to Methodist University to waive the application fee for the Day or Evening program.
- Students must be accepted and enrolled in a degree seeking program at MU to use VA Benefits. VA Benefits cannot be used by students enrolled as “special student”.
- Submit the following to the Office of Admissions:
- Immunization Records (not required for evening students)
- Official (final) high school transcripts or GED results
- SAT or ACT scores (if under 21 years old at time of enrollment or less than 31 s.h. of transferable course work)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- Submit official military transcripts to be evaluated for academic credit. Official copies are available at the following sites:
- CLEP scores. College Level Examination Program tests are free for active duty service-members through your Education Center. This is a very important tool to evaluate knowledge gained outside a traditional classroom. Click here for a list of tests accepted by MU.
APPLY FOR VETERANS ADMINISTRATION BENEFITS
Complete the appropriate application through E-benefits to apply for the VA Education Benefit that will best benefit you. For detailed information of the Chapter benefits, please refer to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® VA Form 22-1990
- Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation VA Form 28-1900
- Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® VA Form 22-1990
- Chapter 35: Dependent Education Assistance Program VA Form 22-5490
- Chapter 1606: Selected Reserves GI Bill® VA Form 22-1990
- Chapter 1607: Reserves Educational Assistance Program (REAP) VA Form 22-1990
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
VISIT THE MU OFFICE OF VETERANS SERVICES
Office of Veterans Services
5400 Ramsey Street
Fayetteville, NC 28311
Please visit the Methodist University Office of Veterans Services (MU Veteran Services):
- Decide on your degree plan. Educational benefits can only be used for courses required by your degree plan.
- The MU Veteran Services will need :
- Chapter 30/33: Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-1990/1995 AND DD-214
- Chapter 1606/1607: Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-1990/1995 AND DD-214 AND Notification of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
- Chapter 35: VA File Number AND Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-5490/5495 AND Disability Rating Letter
- Chapter 31: DD-214 AND VA Form 28-1905
- TOE: Certificate of Eligibility OR VA Form 22-1990E AND Transferability Authorization
- Read, sign, and date the MU Requirements for VA Benefits Form.
- Submit a copy of your schedule, Request For Certification, and academic checklist for your major or audit from advisor to be submitted each semester/term in order to be certified. Please Note: Any changes made to your schedule after certification will affect your benefits. Chapter 33 recipients will receive a VA Benefits Statement to supply the Office of Student Accounts.
- Other documentation may be required by MU Veteran Services depending on the educational benefit.
All necessary paperwork must be completed and submitted to MU Veteran Services in order for processing to begin.
You cannot be certified for Veterans Education Benefits for the following:
- Courses not required for your VA-approved, academic program (major).
- Courses for which you received transfer credit.
- Courses for which you received a passing grade.
- Courses taken for audit.
- Courses taken on a pass-fail or A-P-F basis.
MU Veteran Services will send the documentation for additional processing to the Regional Processing Office (RPO) which may take 60-90 days.
Time line for processing of benefits:
- Application to certification of eligibility = 8-10 weeks
- Submission of Request for Certification to book payment = 8-10 weeks
- Earliest book payment to student = 12 days prior to the start of semester
- Earliest tuition payment to school – billed after add/drop = 30-60 days
- Payment released by VA to credit student account = 15-20 days from the date the VA releases the funds to MU
APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
You (student) are encouraged to apply for financial aid, if you would like to be considered for other resources along with your Veterans Benefits:
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at https://studentaid.ed.gov to be considered for federal, state, and/or need-based financial aid as soon as possible beginning October 1 for the upcoming year. A FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov.will be required to log into the FAFSA or any student Federal website. THE PRIORITY DEADLINE FOR COMPLETING THE FAFSA (FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID) AT METHODIST UNIVERSITY IS JUNE 1. ATTENTION ALL RETURNING STUDENTS: FOR MAXIMUM CONSIDERATION OF ALL MU’S NEED BASED FUNDS (FOUNDERS GRANT, WORK STUDY, ETC.), THE FAFSA MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE PRIORITY DEADLINE OF JUNE 1 and the student’s financial aid file is completed.
- Be sure to list Methodist University on the FAFSA. Methodist University’s federal school code is 00294600.
- Once the FAFSA has been submitted, the Department of Education will submit the FAFSA electronically to MU. The Office of Financial Aid will notify you if additional documentation is needed. Otherwise, your file will be evaluated for ALL scholarships, grants and loans. If eligible a financial aid offer notification will be emailed to the students Methodist email. You may also access your my MU Portal for needed documents or the status of your financial aid offer.
- For detailed information concerning the financial aid process, scholarships, grants, or loans, please refer to the Office of Financial Aid
VISIT THE OFFICE OF STUDENT ACCOUNTS
Office of Student Accounts
5400 Ramsey Street
Fayetteville, NC 28311
(910) 630-7018, 7619, 7008
Please visit the Office of Student Accounts:
- Submit a copy of your VA Benefits Statement. A billing statement will be completed showing your tuition and fees charges and the amount of your VA Chapter 33 benefits. If you are 100% Chapter 33, tuition is covered. If you are less than 100%, you will need to settle up the balance through other financial aid and/or payment arrangements.
- If you are receiving additional financial aid in the form of Pell Grant or student Loans, you may use your pending credit to purchase your parking sticker, meal plan, King Kash, and a book slip to use in the university book store.
- If you are not receiving additional financial aid, you may purchase your parking sticker by cash, check, or credit/debit card.
- You may also set up installment payments to cover a parking sticker, meal plan, or a book slip for the university book store.
- Once you have signed your billing statement then you are cleared to begin classes.
For information about educational benefits, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Office in Atlanta, GA at (888) GI BILL 1 [(888) 442-4551].
- Frequently Asked Questions about VA Benefits
- Requirements for VA Benefits
- Yellow Ribbon Program
- Veteran Services Links
For information about programs available at this institution, contact the MU Office of Veteran Services: