Nimocks Fitness Center
Summer Hours of Operation
Through August 17, 2017
- Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Saturday - Sunday: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Normal Hours of Operation
- Monday - Thursday: 6:00 am - 12:00 am
- Friday: 6:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Saturday: 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Sunday: 1:00 pm - 12:00 am
The Nimocks Fitness Center contains a full line of cardio equipment, such as treadmills, striders, ellipticals, recumbent bikes, and spinning bikes, along with weight machines and an indoor track. This facility has a multi-purpose gym available for basketball and volleyball.
The Nimocks Fitness Center is available for all current MU student, faculty and staff use during listed hours. All guests MUST present current Methodist University ID card to enter and use the Nimocks Fitness Center at any time.
The Nimocks Fitness Center reserves the right to reduce hours during breaks, final exams, between academic semesters, and during the summer. The Nimocks Fitness Center may temporarily close each semester for special events and maintenance purposes.
Front Desk Phone: (910) 630-7440
General Policies and Regulations
- A current Methodist University ID card is required to utilize the Nimocks Fitness Center. (See sign at front desk for a more detailed ID and guest policy.)
- All members exercise at their own risk.
- Appropriate attire is required inside the Nimocks Fitness Center. Shirts, shorts or athletic pants, and non-marking, close-toed athletic footwear must be worn at all times.
- No sandals, heels, or bare feet. No black-soled shoes on the basketball courts.
- Sports bras must be covered by a shirt; no cut-off shirts revealing the stomach or chest area are allowed.
- No food or beverages are allowed past the lobby except water or sports drinks in a closed container with the lid secured.
- Members may not use the microwave, refrigerator, or freezer.
- Equipment is available behind the front desk for guests to borrow, for which guests must exchange a photo ID card. (See sign at front desk for a more detailed equipment checkout policy.)
- Members may carry their personal items (i.e. backpacks, purses, duffel bags, etc.) around the facility as long as they do not hinder other guests from exercising and their belongings are not left in high-traffic areas.
- Lockers are available for member use. (See signs in weight area for a more detailed locker policy.)
- Campus Recreation staff are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged personal items. Any personal items left unattended or left in the facility after closing will be placed in the Lost & Found.
- Please see the front desk staff if you would like to change the channel on one of the large, mounted televisions.
- Members are asked to use the wipes provided to clean any weight machines, cardio machines, or benches used. There are four silver wipe receptacles in the weight area.
- Members may not bring chalk into/use chalk in the facility.
- Photography/filming is not permitted without prior approval from Campus Recreation administrative staff.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller skates/blades, scooters, and any other equipment deemed unsafe for indoor usage are not permitted inside the facility.
- Pets are not permitted inside the facility except for service animals.
- Smoking, tobacco use of any kind, and e-cigarettes are not permitted in the facility.
- Alcoholic beverages and drugs are not permitted in the facility. If a member is caught in possession of these prohibited items, the proper authorities will be notified. Additional sanctions may apply.
- Excessive profanity or aggression, disorderly conduct, inappropriate behavior, abuse of the facility, equipment, or staff, and/or disregard for Campus Recreation rules may result in immediate dismissal from the facility. Additional sanctions may apply.
- Campus Recreation staff have the final say in policy interpretation and enforcement. Failure to comply with any of these policies may result in temporary or permanent loss of Campus Recreation privileges.
Not all rules are posted in immediate areas. If a staff member requests your cooperation, please adjust your behavior. If you have questions about a specific policy, please see a Campus Recreation staff member. Please report any injuries, inappropriate conduct, and broken/damaged equipment to the front desk staff.
ID & Guest Policies
- A current Methodist University ID card is required to utilize the Nimocks Fitness Center.
- If you are a current student, faculty, or staff member and have forgotten your ID card, you may utilize the facility by checking in with another form of photo ID (i.e. driver’s license, passport, etc.) and your MU ID number.
- You will only be allowed to check in without your MU ID card twice a week.
- If you do not have a photo ID but you still know your MU ID number, a Recreation Technician may still let you in – at their discretion! This will depend on whether or not your picture shows up in the system when your ID number is typed in and/or whether you are a regular, well-mannered guest of the facility.
- Alumni must present an MU alumni ID card to enter the facility; they may not use their old student ID cards.
- Each current student, faculty, or staff member is allowed to bring one (1) guest at a time. Alumni and family members of faculty/staff cannot bring in guests. Anyone signing in a guest must present a valid photo ID.
- Guests ages 16 or older must provide a valid photo ID and sign a guest waiver in order to utilize the facility.
- Guests under 16 may not use the weight area without a parent present; guests under 14 may not use the weight area at all.
- Guests ages 5 to 13 may use the basketball courts if accompanied by a parent. No one under the age of 5 will be allowed past the lobby.
- Members who bring a guest must remain inside the facility the entire time the guest is exercising. Members may sit in the lobby during this time unless the guest is under the age of 16.
- A guest must have an affiliation with Methodist University to utilize the facilities.
- If a guest is signed in under one member’s name, the guest must leave when that member leaves; guests may not ask other members present in the facility at the time to sign them in after the original member who signed them in has left.
Weight Area Rules
- Do not drop or slam equipment or cable machine stacks. Free weights cannot be dropped from above the knees.
- Do not modify any facility equipment in an unsafe or damaging way (i.e. stacking boxes, putting dumbbells on top of the cable machine stacks, etc.).
- Return free weights, plates, bars, and other equipment to the designated places. Keep the blue running track clear of all equipment and personal items.
- Please only use one piece/set of equipment at a time. Circuits are not allowed unless the facility is close to empty.
- Do not use steel plates on the squat racks.
- Sports drinks (i.e. protein, pre-workout, etc.) may not be mixed in the weight area. Containers with supplement powders in them are not allowed in the weight area.
- No speakers in the weight area; when listening to music, guests must use headphones.
- Guests are strongly recommended to have a spotter when utilizing the squat racks. Guests needing a spotter should inquire at the front desk.
Multipurpose Room Rules
Please feel free to use this room as a multipurpose space and abide by the following rules:
- Be respectful of and courteous to other guests utilizing the room.
- No food or beverages are allowed except water or sports drinks in a closed container with the lid secured. Do not mix sports drinks (i.e. protein, pre-workout, etc.) in this room. Containers with supplement powders in them are not allowed in this room.
- Put away any equipment you use or bring into the room (i.e. yoga balls, mats, free weights, etc.).
- Guests may use the stereo speakers as long as a group exercise class does not need them, the music is not profane or offensive, and the volume is kept to an appropriate level. The Nimocks Fitness Center does not provide an auxiliary cord; guests must bring their own.
- Do not close or lock the door or turn off the lights.
- Lockers are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Guests much supply their own locks.
- Campus Recreation staff members are not responsible for any personal items that may be lost or stolen.
- All lockers will be cleaned out at the end of the day; any personal items left in the lockers after closing will be placed in Lost & Found or discarded.
- The following items are not allowed in any locker:
- illegal substances
- perishable food or drink, food or drink not tightly sealed in a closed container
Basketball Court Rules
- Gum is not allowed on the basketball courts. Do not spit on the floor.
- Appropriate attire is required on the basketball courts. Shirts, shorts or athletic pants, and non-marking, close-toed athletic footwear must be worn at all times.
- No sandals, heels, bare feet, or black-soled shoes.
- Sports bras must be covered by a shirt; no cut-off shirts revealing the stomach or chest area are allowed.
- Shirts must be worn at all times.
- No free weights, slam balls, or kettlebells are allowed on the basketball courts.
- Guests are expected to clean up after themselves, including all equipment, personal items, and trash.
- Dunking is allowed, but guests are not permitted to hang on the rims.
- Music playing from speakers must not be profane or offensive and the volume must be kept to an appropriate level. Guests may not play music on their speakers during group exercise class times.
- Guests may not set up or take down the soccer goals or volleyball nets. Please ask the front desk staff for assistance if you wish to use that equipment.
- Only Methodist-sanctioned clubs or organizations may reserve the basketball courts for their use. These events/activities must be officially scheduled at least 24 hours in advance with Campus Recreation administrative staff.
Bike & Equipment Checkout Policies
- Anyone signed into the facility may check out one piece of equipment per person from behind the desk by exchanging their ID cards for the equipment.
- All equipment, unless designated as outdoor equipment, must remain inside the facility at all times.
- Equipment cannot be checked out overnight unless the proper paperwork is completed at least 24 hours in advance.
- Current students, faculty, and staff members may borrow equipment long-term. To do so, they must fully fill out the Equipment Sign-Out Sheet at the front desk. Guests, alumni, and family members of faculty/staff may not borrow equipment long-term.
- Current students, faculty, and staff members may check out one bike per person. Alumni may also check out bikes. Family members of faculty/staff and guests may not check out bikes.
- Front desk staff will review bike checkout policies and the consequences for violating those policies with patrons prior to borrowing a bike.
- All patrons borrowing bikes will be required to sign a consent form stating that they understand the regulations set forth by Campus Recreation staff.
- Bikes may be ridden both on- and off-campus.