The CHAMPS program is Methodist University’s student athlete study hall.
CHAMPS Starting Date: Sunday, January 21
Location and Check-In: All CHAMPS hours are to be completed in the Davis Memorial Library. Student-athletes will swipe their student IDs to check-in and out at the Academic Support Information Desk.
CHAMPS Study Hall Hours
Student-athletes will fulfill their CHAMPS hours during the Writing & Tutoring Center’s hours of operation, which are as follows:
- Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.–11 p.m.
- Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Sunday, 5 p.m.–11 p.m.
*For student athletes to have their CHAMPS study hour counted, student-athletes are required to be present for a full hour. Incremental periods of less than an hour will not be considered eligible for counting.*
- Writing and Tutoring Center and Individual Research Assistance (IRA) appointments, and Academic Support workshops and events will be counted towards CHAMPS hours.
- Monday-Thursday, 7:00–9:00 p.m.:
- Peer tutors and writing consultants are available for walk-in appointments.
- Academic Support workshops and programs will take place during this time.
Student-Athlete GPA Requirement
Any student-athlete who has below a 2.00 cumulative GPA is required to complete five hours of CHAMPS study hours per week for the duration of the semester.
Freshman Student-Athlete Requirements
- Fall semester, all freshman student-athletes are required to complete five hours of CHAMPS study hours per week for the duration of the semester.
- Spring Semester, freshman student-athletes who have a 2.70 GPA or above are exempt from CHAMPS.
- Spring Semester, freshman student-athletes who have between a 2.70 and 2.00 GPA are required to complete three hours of CHAMPS for the duration of the semester.
Sophomore Student-Athlete Requirements
- All sophomore student-athletes with a 2.50 cumulative GPA or above are exempt from CHAMPS.
- All sophomore student-athletes with a cumulative GPA between 2.50 and 2.00 are required to complete two hours of CHAMPS per week for the duration of the semester.
Junior Student-Athlete Requirements
- Junior student-athletes who meet the 2.50 cumulative GPA requirements are exempt from CHAMPS.
- All junior student-athletes with a cumulative GPA between 2.50 and 2.00 are required to complete two hours of CHAMPS per week for the duration of the semester.
Guidelines for Missed Hours
- First Instance of Incomplete CHAMPS Hours: The first time a student-athlete fails to complete their CHAMPS hours, they will be given the opportunity to make up the missed time the following week. This provision ensures that participants have the chance to fulfill their commitments to the program.
- Second Instance of Incomplete CHAMPS Hours: If a student-athlete fails to complete CHAMPS hours for a second time, the makeup hours required will be doubled and added to their regular required hours for the following week. This underscores the importance of consistent attendance and active participation.
- Third Instance of Incomplete CHAMPS Hours: Should a student-athlete fail to complete CHAMPS hours for a third time, an email will be sent to them with their coach and the Deputy Athletic Director copied. This correspondence will explain the requirement for completing triple hours to compensate for missed time. These additional hours will be added to their regular weekly requirement. Moreover, a possible game suspension may be imposed to underscore the importance of consistent attendance.