The status of Academic Warning is applied to any student who obtains a cumulative and semester grade point average below a 2.00 or does not meet the minimum completion rate requirement.
Students on Academic Warning must adhere to all the following:
- Meet with the Student Success Coordinator and develop an academic success plan for the enrolled semester.
- Meet at least monthly during a semester with the Student Success Coordinator to review and check in on academic progress.
- Meet with assigned Academic and Career Advisor monthly throughout the semester while Academic Warning is in effect.
- Students on Academic Warning will be automatically enrolled in the Academic Success Canvas Course. They are required to complete the course assignments and meet course deadlines. Successful completion of the course by the end of the warning semester is required for one to be released from Academic Warning status.
Restoration to Good Academic Standing requires a student to obtain a minimum cumulative or semester Grade Point Average of 2.00 or above and meet the minimum completion rate requirement.
Students are permitted to participate in extracurricular activities (clubs, organizations, intercollegiate athletics practice and competition, intramurals, etc.) while Academic Warning is in effect.
If Academic Warning is in effect for a student for any two consecutively enrolled semesters at Methodist University, not to include summers, will be placed on Academic Suspension.
Academic Suspension Appeal Procedure
Methodist University recognizes there may be extenuating and mitigating circumstances affecting student performance. Methodist University allows students to appeal their academic suspension status by submitting an appeal letter with documentation to email@example.com.
Examples of extenuating circumstances include but are not limited to:
- Death of a relative
- Serious physical or mental health illness or injury
- Other extraordinary personal circumstances that inhibit academic performance
The student’s appeal must describe why the student didn’t maintain good academic standing, provide reasonable documentation of that circumstance, and explain what has changed that will allow them to maintain good academic standing thereafter. Appeal deadlines will be shared with the student following the notification of suspension. An appeal committee will meet to review all appeals. The entirety of the student’s case, including academic record and financial aid standing, will be taken into consideration in appeal decisions. Students will be notified of the appeal decision within 10 business days of the committee review. The decision of the appeal committee is final.
Academic Suspension Reinstatement
For reinstatement, students on academic suspension must complete one of the following:
- Students must earn a minimum of 6 credit hours at a regionally accredited institution with a grade of “C” or better. Students who submit official transcripts documenting these criteria have been met will be reinstated.
- Students may also engage in an approved alternative option.
An Academic Standing status of Warning will be applied to students who are reinstated after Academic Suspension. Students not meeting Federal Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for GPA and completion rate must contact the Office of Financial Aid for guidance.
Students who have been previously academically suspended and reinstated to Methodist University will be placed on Academic Warning and will have two semesters of enrollment to regain good academic standing. If a status of good academic standing has not been met following the second semester of enrollment, the student will be academically dismissed.
If a student is placed on a second Academic Suspension, the student will be dismissed from Methodist University. Academic Dismissals are final and cannot be appealed.