Based on scientific evidence, COVID-19 is a communicable disease in the United States. Given that you have been in contact with someone who tested positive for the virus, or who is presumed positive for the virus, you may need to “self-isolate” or “lie low” and monitor if you have symptoms. The Methodist University Health Center, Housing and Residence Life, Student Affairs, and Human Resources are here to support you as you isolate.
Hearing that you are being “isolated” and restricted from connection on campus may feel kind of scary, but the goal of this potential period of time is to simply ensure that you are healthy, while also protecting others from exposure to illness. Some students may self-isolate in their own off-campus room/house; others may need to relocate.
When Do I Isolate?
Click here to view or print an easy-to-follow infographic.
If you’ve tested positive for COVID-19, have come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and are showing symptoms, your first two action steps are to self-isolate and call MU Health Services at 910.630.7164. This professional staff will advise you on next steps (please note the Health Services and Support section below), which may include contacting faculty about potential remote arrangements.
For information about testing, please visit the Testing page on this site for the latest detail and instructions.
How do I know if it is COVID-19 or just allergies?
COVID-19 vs. Allergies Symptoms Chart
On-Campus Isolation Guidelines
- You must isolate for five days and will be released on day six wearing a mask until day ten or symptoms resolve. Please email all of your professors, so they are aware and can email assignments to you.
- You are allowed to enter the Green & Gold Dining Hall twice daily and only during the specified 30-minute window of 11:00-11:30 a.m. and 4:00-4:30 p.m. to choose your meal. You must take your student ID and also wear a mask while inside the cafeteria. Please ask an Aramark employee if you have any questions.
We will do our best to make sure you are cared for and comfortable.
Support is a Call or Email Away!
- Health Services | 910.630.7164 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Counseling Services | 910.630.7164 | email@example.com
- Housing and Residence Life | 910.630.7626
- Division of Student Affairs | 910.630.7152