Graphic Design: Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of jobs can I find with a B.F.A. in Graphic Design?

There are multiple paths in graphic design. Here are some of the position titles:

  • Graphic designer
  • Art director
  • Creative director
  • Illustrator
  • Multimedia developer
  • UX designer
  • Web/app designer
  • Photographer
  • Type designer
  • Exhibition designer
  • Environmental designer

Do I have to be a good artist to succeed in the graphic design program?

It’s not expected that entering students are artists … but the interest helps! There are two required drawing courses in the program. Some graduating graphic designers are excellent with drawing. Some are excellent in photography. Some are excellent with typography. The point is Methodist University instills a great foundation in all of these areas. The students’ interests and skills then drive their individual focus for developing their graduating portfolios.

What are good choices of minors to add to my graphic design degree?

Many choices here, directed by your interest. Choose minors based on what excites you the most, then find employment that would have excitement about those same skills … you will have a happier career for it! Here are some good choices:

  • Marketing
  • Computer Science
  • Mass Communications
  • Foreign Language (Spanish recommended)
  • English (emphasis on writing)
  • Psychology

Are internships a good idea?

Definitely! A recent survey by Glassdoor, Inc. stated that 81% of graphic design employers look for applicants with at least one year of experience. Summer internships are a great help! Many graphic design majors look in their hometown areas or other metro spots for summer opportunities. Methodist University can help you to find positions!

Do I need a computer?

The MU catalog requires graphic design majors to purchase MacBook Pros and also to subscribe to Adobe’s Creative Cloud. Both have student discount pricing available and both are required during your sophomore year … although the sooner the better! Two other requirements: an external portable drive (1-2 TB) and a digital (DSLR) camera of at least 10 megapixel resolution. The camera is required for a fall course in your junior year. Students have purchased both used and new cameras. Faculty can help you with all of these decisions when you are ready.