Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students where the practical training employment is considered to be an integral part of the curriculum or academic program. According to the immigration regulations, this employment may be an internship, cooperative education job, a practicum, or any other work experience that is either required for your degree (as defined in the course catalog) or for which academic credit is awarded.

To be eligible for CPT, you must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year, your employment must be an integral part of your degree program or requirement for a course (as defined above), and your job offer related to your major/minor or field of study.

The student may be eligible for CPT only if the training is a requirement for graduation or it is a course of study for which academic credit is given. You must be registered for an academic class, at least one credit hour. The student’s Designated School Official must provide written authorization that the CPT has been approved before CPT employment or internship can begin.

CPT Duration

Spring semester CPT will run from start of the Spring Semester to the end of the Spring semester (no change).

Summer semester CPT will run from the start of the Summer Semester till the end of Summer Semester.

Fall semester CPT will run from start of the Fall semester till the end of the Winter break. Winter break can be included into Fall CPT if the student wants to work during the break. During Winter break, students will be able to work full time.

Application Process

  1. Complete the CPT Authorization Form.
  2. Print a current Grade Report from myMU for the Global Education Office. Minimum GPA is 2.0.
  3. Obtain an official offer letter on company letterhead that is signed by the prospective employer. The letter should include the employer’s name, physical address, a brief description of the employment and the specific dates of employment.
  4. Schedule an appointment with your International Student Advisor and bring the following to the Global Education Office or scan and email as a PDF document to Olga Booth at
    • A completed and signed CPT Authorization form
    • Proof of class registration and proof of GPA above 2.0
    • The offer letter from your employer
    • A valid, unexpired passport
    • I-94 card (Please print your I-94 directly from CPB website; your class of admission is F-1).

If all of the required documents are submitted, you will receive your CPT approval at your appointment and new I-20 with CPT endorsement will be issued to you by a DSO.

If I do CPT, can I still do OPT later?

Yes, as long as you do not engage in full-time CPT (that is, more than 20 hours per week) for a cumulative total of 12 months. Part-time CPT (20 hours or less per week) has no impact on subsequent eligibility for OPT, even if you work for more than a year.