Study Abroad Information for Parents
Helping your student find the right study abroad opportunity is an exciting time. We hope that you will embrace the process as your son or daughter explores their options abroad at Methodist University. Today’s graduates need a global mindset and international experience to compete for jobs. Studying abroad equips students with real-life, hands-on skills that no classroom can match, while opening up a world of personal and professional opportunities. As a parent, you can champion study abroad as an essential component of your child’s education. If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Study Abroad Office.
A Parent’s Guide to Study Abroad
Written by three leading study abroad experts—Stacie Nevadomski Berdan, Allan E. Goodman, and William L. Gertz—this guide contains critical information parents need to inform themselves and to support their student as he or she navigates the study abroad experience.
In the free guide, the authors make a strong case for the importance of parental involvement that can influence and shape a successful cross-cultural experience, including:
- Clarifying the value of study abroad
- Identifying the right study abroad program
- Figuring out the financials
- Staying safe and healthy abroad
- Preparing for success abroad
- Offering the appropriate mixture of support
- Helping your child leverage the experience for
- personal and professional success