Methodist University takes student complaints seriously and endeavors to resolve concerns in a timely and effective manner. Any student who feels that he/she/they have been unduly wronged or unfairly treated by a member of the University faculty, administration, or staff may file a formal grievance through the following processes and work with university faculty and staff to find a successful resolution. This procedure does not apply in situations involving grade appeals (process detailed below) or student code of conduct issues.

Students should report concerns promptly. Timely reporting helps ensure a well-informed resolution and the best opportunity to improve the student’s experience at MU.

Harassment & Discrimination Complaints

Methodist University is committed to maintaining an environment that respects the dignity of all individuals. Accordingly, Methodist University does not tolerate harassment or discrimination by its faculty, staff, or students based on age, gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Students with complaints of harassment or discrimination should follow the procedures detailed in the MU Title IX and Non-discrimination policy.

The Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) ensures institutions receiving federal funding comply with Title IX regulations. Additional inquiries regarding Methodist University’s application of Title IX may be referred to:

The Office of Civil Rights
District of Columbia Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Ave SW
Washington, DC 20202-1475
Telephone: 202.453.6020
Fax: 202.453.6021

Bias Incident Reporting

Students can also bring concerns to the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion by contacting Dr. Quincy Malloy, Chief Diversity Officer, at or by using the Anonymous Bias-Incident Report system.

Academic Complaints

Grade Appeal Policy

Should a student choose to challenge a grade in a course, the student must complete the Methodist University Grade Appeal process detailed below before the end of the semester or term following receipt of a grade for the course. This procedure is specific to grade appeals, not general instruction or policy concerns.

  • The grading and evaluation policies outlined in the course syllabus form the basis for resolution of all grade grievances. Every attempt should be made to resolve an academic grievance through consultations between the student and the instructor or among the student, instructor, and the department chair/division head. If these consultations fail to resolve the grievance, the appeal procedure detailed below is available to students. Appeal procedures require written documentation. All documents must be dated.
  • A grade grievance occurs when a student protests a grade awarded on the final grade roster. The grievance must be filed before the end of the semester following receipt of a grade for the course (summers excluded).
  • Every grade grievance must be submitted in writing by the student to the instructor who awarded the grade. The student must copy the department chair/division head when the original grievance is submitted to the instructor.
  • The instructor will respond in writing to the student and copy the department chair/division head.
  • If the response from the instructor is not satisfactory to the student, a written petition of appeal to the department chair must be submitted.
  • The chair/division head will respond to the student’s petition of appeal in writing, copying the instructor.
  • If the decision of the chair/division head is unsatisfactory to the student, they may appeal to the dean of the appropriate college.
  • The dean will respond to the student’s petition of appeal in writing, copying the instructor and the department chair/division head.
  • If the student considers the matter unresolved at that point, they may, with the assistance of their advisor, appeal to the Academic Standards Committee of the University, which will review the documentation and determine a resolution. The Academic Standards Committee may request additional information from the student and/or instructor involved.
  • The decision of the Academic Standards Committee is final and cannot be appealed.

Course/Academic Department Complaints

Students should first direct complaints about an academic department or division, including instruction and classroom and department/division services, to the attention of the head of the division, department, or program with which they have a concern. If a student believes that he/she/they are not able to resolve a complaint within the department/division or program, the student should take the complaint to the college dean.  Complaints should be submitted via email to the appropriate chair / division head and/or dean with a copy to Concerns and complaints can also be submitted on the Academic Grievance form. The form will be routed to the appropriate department chair/division head and to the email account.

Listings of divisions and departments in each college are on the University web site (scroll down to colleges section).

Non-Academic & Student Experience Complaints

Students should first direct complaints about all other offices and aspects of the student experience outside of the classroom to the head of the office associated with the complaint. If a student believes that he/she/they are not able to resolve a complaint within office, the student should take the complaint to the head of the unit.

Complaints should be submitted via email to the appropriate office. Concerns and complaints can also be submitted on Non-Academic Student Grievance Form. The form will be routed to the appropriate office.

Access & Reasonable Accommodation Grievances

Students with disabilities are responsible for contacting Student Access & Accommodation Services if reasonable accommodations are not implemented in an effective or timely manner. Student Access & Accommodation Services works with faculty, staff, and students with disabilities to resolve disagreements regarding recommended accommodations.

This grievance process will facilitate an internal, informal basis for filing a complaint or appealing a denial of accommodations and for instances of inappropriate discrimination in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504).

Any student with a disability, who believes he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of that disability, may use this process to file a grievance with the Coordinator of Student Access & Accommodation Services located in Davis Memorial Library Room 203 or with the Office for Civil Rights.

Student Grievance/Complaint Resolution Process

A student must begin the department/division/unit-based resolution process during the term in which the concern arises.

Complaints should not be directed to multiple offices as that will delay the University response. If a student is unsure of the office or unit for complaint submission, they should use either the Academic Grievance form or the Non-Academic Student Grievance Form.

Students must submit complaints themselves as indicated above and include accurate contact information. The University will not respond to anonymous complaints.

The appropriate department/division/unit head will notify the student when they receive the complaint and will provide a written response to the student after they have investigated the complaint. Responses will be provided in a timely manner.

Unresolved Complaints

Students should make full use of Methodist University’s established processes to resolve complaints.  On occasion, a student may believe that he/she/they cannot resolve their concern through these processes. If the complaint alleges violations of applicable state laws, including laws and regulations related to state authorization of higher education (postsecondary institutions), the student has the option to submit complaints to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), the University’s regional accrediting body.

In most cases, SACSCOC complaint procedures require that the complainant exhaust all other avenues to address the complaint. Prior to filing a complaint, please carefully review the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures Policy Statement. The links below provide information on the SACSCOC complaint policy and process.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Phone:  404.679.4500
SACSCOC Complaint Procedures
SACSCOC Complaint Form

Additionally, if you are not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint, you may choose to file a complaint by filling out the North Carolina Post-secondary Education Student Complaint document. Please review the Student Complaint Policy and access the Student Complaint Form.

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
223 S. West Street, Suite 1800; Raleigh, NC 27603
Phone: 919.962.4550
Website: State of North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at and/or access the online consumer complaint form. North Carolina residents may call 877.566.7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call 919.716.6000. En Español 919.716.0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

Out-of-State Online Students

Methodist University participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.

If you are an out-of-state student taking online courses and you are unable to resolve a complaint with Methodist or feel that not all issues were resolved with the final disposition, you may appeal to the portal agency for SARA in North Carolina (

North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA)
ATTN: SARA North Carolina
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629
Phone: 919.248.4667

To access the complaint process and form, go to, and to access the complaint form, go to

To find out whether the state you reside in is a SARA state, please visit the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).

Most states require that you begin the complaint process at your university before taking further action.

If a student wishes to contact the state portal agency for his or her home state, contact information for the liaison personnel in each SARA state can be found on the NC-SARA website. State-by-state contact information for agencies responsible for receiving student consumer complaints is available online.

Methodist University provides this information about student complaints in compliance with the federal Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) and United States Department of Education regulations.