Academically & Intellectually Gifted
With careful planning and additional courses, a Teacher Education Candidate admitted to Teacher Education can also earn a second license. Teachers holding a current North Carolina Continuing License or Initial License who are in active employment may enroll in the program. To do so, they must discuss their program requirements with the appropriate Add-on License Coordinator, who will then complete a personal course of study. If approved, the teacher must submit a copy of their current teaching license, official transcript, and take all required coursework at Methodist University.
Candidates who wish to obtain the add-on AIG licensure must:
- Confer with and have the consent of the AIG program coordinator
- Currently hold or are in the process of obtaining a full teaching license
- Successfully complete the following coursework:
- EDU 4480 Curriculum Development for Gifted (3 credits)
- EDU 4510 Methods of Teaching Gifted and Talented (3 credits)
- EDU 4550 Nature and Nurture of Gifted and Talented (3 credits)
- EDU 4650 Issues and Trends in Gifted Education (3 credits)
In addition to completing coursework, Candidates should take the Academically/Intellectually Gifted (K-12) (Praxis II, Test Code 5358 Gifted Education, Passing Score: 157) exam before submitting to NCDPI for the certificate.
NC State Board of Education Complaint Process
The North Carolina State Board of Education (SBE) has jurisdiction to investigate allegations of noncompliance regarding specific laws and rules. Complaints may address Educator Preparation Program requirements set forth in Article 15(D) of Chapter 115C. The SBE does not have jurisdiction over complaints related to contractual arrangements with an EPP, commercial issues, obtaining a higher grade or credit for training, or seeking reinstatement to an EPP. All complaints filed with the SBE must be in writing. A person or entity may file a written complaint with SBE by filling out a complaint form and submitting online and/or mailing or faxing a hard copy to the address on the form.