Required Immunizations

The State of NC requires all students entering institutions of higher learning to present an official vaccination record, within 30 days of registration. The statute applies to all students except students residing off-campus and registering for any combination of:

  • Off-campus courses
  • Evening courses (classes beginning after 5 m.)
  • Weekend courses
  • No more than four-day credits in on-campus courses
  • Have submitted the Medical Exemption Statement form completed by a physician.
  • Have a signed statement from student requesting religious exemptions.

If at any time the above student status changes to: on-campus courses, course load of more than four (4) credits, on-campus residence, and/or enrollment in day-time courses, a Certificate of Immunization or record of immunization must be presented on or before the  first day of class of the semester.

Vaccine Number Doses Required Before School Entry*
Diphteria, tetanus and pertussis 3 doses 1 dose must be a current Tdap
Polio 3 doses
Measles 2 doses (or titer if no vaccine)
Mumps 2 doses (or titer if no vaccine)
Rubella 1 dose (or titer if no vaccine)
Hepatitis B (Hep B) 3 doses if born after July 1, 1994
Varicella 1 dose (or titer if no vaccine) if born on or after April 1, 2001

*The Health Science programs have additional requirements for vaccinations, please reference each program

Tuberculin (Test Results): Any student entering in the Health Science programs must show a TB skin test before entering into the programs.

How to Find Your Immunization Records

  • Contact your pediatrician’s office or family physician’s office
  • Contact your High School and request them with your transcripts.
  • Contact your local health department.
  • For transfer students, contact your student health center from your previous college/university.
  • Military records are acceptable, but may not contain all of the required immunizations.
  • Ask your parent, guardian or medical provider if he/she has any record of your childhood immunizations.
  • Titer tests to see if you have antibodies.
  • North Carolina does have a central registry of immunization received while in the State of North Carolina. Contact the Immunization Coordinator at 910.630.7164 for assistance in obtaining these records.

Recommended Vaccines

Meningococcal (2 Doses)

The CDC recommends that college students living in residence halls be educated about meningitis and the benefits of vaccination.

Meningococcal Disease is a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. This disease can lead to severe and permanent disabilities, such as hearing loss, brain damages, seizures, limb amputation, and even death. Meningococcal bacteria is transmitted through the air via droplets of the respiratory system, oral contact with shared items, such as cigarettes, drinking glasses, kissing, or direct contact with an infected person.

Vaccines can help prevent meningococcal disease, which is any type of illness caused by Neisseria meningitidis bacteria. There are 2 types of meningococcal vaccines available in the United States:

  • Meningococcal conjugate or MenACWY vaccines (Menactra® and Menveo®)
  • Serogroup B meningococcal or MenB vaccines (Bexsero® and Trumenba®)

Symptoms usually associated with the disease include fever, severe headaches, stiff neck, rash, nausea, vomiting, and lethargy, and may resemble the flu. Meningitis usually peaks in late winter and early spring and its flu-like symptoms make diagnosis difficult.  Because the disease progresses rapidly, often in as little as 12 hours, students are urged to seek medical care immediately if they experience two or more of these symptoms concurrently.

Treatment with antibiotics should begin as soon as the diagnosis is considered.


Methodist University highly recommends COVID vaccination as the optimal way to avoid getting this disease. FDA-authorized vaccines include Pfizer-BioNTech (two shots), Johnson & Johnson (one shot), and Moderna (two shots).

Students should check with their program advisors as COVID vaccinations may be necessary for particular off-campus experiences, such as internships, practicums, field experiences, and/or clinical placements.

Fore more information on COVID-19 vaccinations, see our page on Forward Together.

Requesting Immunization and/or Health Records

Students must provide written authorization for medical records to be released from the Health Center. The medical release form is located below.